This PDF (20 pages w/active links, 2.3 MB) contains 6 fun, hands-on art projects: supply lists, instructions, photos, and video tutorial links. These six engaging, hands-on art projects are aligned to overlapping subsets of the 3rd Grade Common Core Visual Arts Standards. Your students advance towards mastery of the full Standards by completing multiple art projects plus the included visual art activities. Working collaboratively they'll
- Envision, design and create their own, real works of art.
- Learn about writing in hieroglyphs.
- Practice evaluating art based on a set of criteria.
- Explore how images communicate to us non-verbally and how knowing the context in which an artwork is created can affect how we respond to it.
- Examine how different cultures sometimes use art.
Have fun as you guide your students through creating their own art, supported by written guidelines, photographs, fun tutorial videos and lists of commonly available art supplies. Additional visual art activities and vocabulary help empower you to lead your students to proficiency in the full Common Core Visual Arts Standards.
These projects can be scheduled at your convenience, conducted in your classroom or remotely, synchronously or asynchronously. The fun, collaborative nature of group art exploration strengthens your class's sense of community and helps alleviate "Zoom fatigue" for teachers and students alike. We all know that engagement, of both educators and learners, is a key component of effective pedagogy. This is it. Let's go!
This PDF contains active links.
This item is a paid digital download from AlamedaArts.Com and is protected by U.S. copyright laws and is intended for use in only one class (physical or online) per school year. Redistributing, editing, selling, and/or posting this item (or any original content therein), in physical or digital form, are all strictly prohibited without the written permission of Alameda Arts. Violators may be subject to civil and/or criminal penalties.
Educators Collection - 3rd Grade: Six Common Core Art Projects in PDF
- GLUE BAS-RELIEF - Student are introduced to an unusual form of relief artmaking. Glue is transformed from an adhesive to a uniqely expressive medium in and of itself.
- MULTIMEDIA OWL - Students utilize multiple artistic tools and techniques while blending art and nature. After researching images of owls online, in literature, on TV, they can extend and expand those small images into a larger idea that may be more realistic, more fanciful or perhaps more abstract.
- 16pg DOODLE BOOK - This is a challenging manipulation of a single sheet of paper. Students can use their books to draw, write, doodle, whatever they like. Make this project an ongoing activity so that as students share more of their books, they continue to inspire each other.
- MONOPRINT - Students are introduced to a type of flat contact printing that allows them to reimagine what a painting can be.
- TRIANGLE CAT - This project incorporates painting, drawing & collaging skills as students express their visions of a highly stylized feline image.
- MIXED MEDIA PAINTING - inspired by Howardena Pindell - This project expands students’ notion of painting by using tissue paper as a substrate to add texture. Collaging simple geometric shapes adds even more texture plus a transformative visual element.
If you are interested in purchasing the art supplies needed for these projects, please contact Ms. Hazel & Ms. Kate at Alameda Arts.