This PDF (19 pages w/active links, 5.6 MB) contains 6 engaging, hands-on art projects: supply lists, instructions, photos, and video tutorial links. Each project is aligned to overlapping subsets of the 5th Grade Common Core Visual Arts Standards. Your students advance towards mastery of the full Standards by completing multiple art projects plus the included visual art activities. Working collaboratively they'll
- Envision, design and create their own, real works of art.
- Curate an exhibition of their own artwork for the entire class.
- Virtually visit the Escherian Stairway at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Learn to identify and analyze cultural associations suggested by visual imagery all around us.
- Challenge their own beliefs and preconceptions by examining art in which persuasion, confusion, disagreement, enlightenment, discomfort, and perhaps even anger, intersect.
Have fun as you guide your students through creating their own art, supported by written guidelines, photographs, fun tutorial videos and lists of commonly available art supplies. Additional visual art activities and vocabulary help empower you to lead your students to proficiency in the full Common Core Visual Arts Standards.
These projects can be scheduled at your convenience, conducted in your classroom or remotely, synchronously or asynchronously. The fun, collaborative nature of group art exploration strengthens your class's sense of community and helps alleviate "Zoom fatigue" for teachers and students alike. We all know that engagement, of both educators and learners, is a key component of effective pedagogy. This is it. Let's go!
This PDF contains active links. Please contact us at Info@AlamedaArts.Com if you are interested in ordering bundled project art supplies for an entire class.
This item is a paid digital download from AlamedaArts.Com. It is protected by U.S. copyright laws and is intended for use in only one class (physical or online) per school year. Redistributing, editing, selling, and/or posting this item (or any original content therein), in physical or digital form, are all strictly prohibited without the written permission of Alameda Arts. Violators may be subject to civil and/or criminal penalties.
Educators Collection - 5th Grade: Six Common Core Art Projects in PDF
- TRIPTYCH - Artists sometimes create a triptych which is a series of three panels that are displayed together. Students decide whether to use the 3 panel format to create a single large image which is split into 3 pieces, 3 stand alone images that combine visually into one, or 3 disparate images connected only by a common theme.
- ORIGAMI RADIAL SYMMETRY - Radial symmetry means repeating a pattern around a central axis. Students must consider how specific ideas can be conveyed by the use of culturally contextual shapes and/or colors. These artistic investigations lend meaning to abstract artwork.
- ARTICULATED BUGS - Starting with a visual examination of different organisms, students can then consider whether their approach will be realistic, idealized, abstract or anthropomorphic.. Their representations may primarily focus on aesthetic qualities, an implied narrative or robustness and/or mobility.
- IMPASTO PAINTING - Impasto is a process of laying on paint thickly so that it stands out from a surface. This technique provides a different perspective on creating painted images by allowing the artist to add texture and dimension using only paint.
- FLOOR TILE CHARACTERS - Students decide whether to prioritize the aesthetic qualities of individual characters or using them to create a more expressive narrative.
- SILHOUETTE TISSUE ART - Utilizing silhouettes provides a different perspective from traditional painted or drawn images. Students must consider how they can convey their artistic intent in silhouette format, without the use of the details normally inherent to visual imagery.
If you are interested in purchasing the art supplies needed for these projects, please contact Ms. Hazel & Ms. Kate at Alameda Arts.